Monday, February 16, 2015

I Jogged!

I was all ready to write a self-loathing filled post about how this past week a was a complete and total failure. I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't exercise and aside from feeling guilty it was somewhat stress free and liberating. Not saying I am giving up, just being honest that this whole health overhaul I am working on. It is overwhelming. So I had the post thought out in my mind but now I want to write about something a little more positive: I JOGGED today.

Here is the story. I woke up after a bad dream and just felt really sad (lump in my throat I'm going to cry any min. kind of sad) and THEN I decided to watch Grey Gardens which is NOT a happy movie. I'm sitting on the couch feeling really melancholy when Chris looks over at my tear streaked face and says I should go for a walk. I didn't really want to BUT I couldn't lay on the couch any longer or I would really be sad so I got my headphones and headed out.

I decided I would walk up to the other side of campus and back again, a total of about 3 miles, straight up 9th east and back. I get to the part where I was turning around and thought to myself, "this is down hill, I'm feeling pretty good, I'm going to try and jog a little bit."

So I started jogging and I felt GREAT! I mean it. My knees weren't hurting. My hips weren't hurting. My muscles felt strong. I had a great rhythm that matched the song playing in my headphones (see below). I felt strong and healthy. My body was doing something I haven't done in awhile. I was flying and I loved it!

Sadly I am strictly a "down-hill" jogger at this point, a fact I realized as the terrain started flattening out towards our apartment. But hey, I would rather be a down-hill jogger than and walker-only kind of girl. You have to start somewhere right? And for full clarification I did not jog ALL the way back but I did for most of it.

It was a good feeling and really turned my day around. Good thing I have such a thoughtful husband who knew that a little exercise would get me out of my funk. Isn't it funny that the times I need to exercise most are the times I don't feel like it?

So my week of total denial about my health goals didn't cause me to gain any weight back but I also didn't loose anything. This sets me back from my 10 lbs goal which I am okay with except for the fact that it pushes all of my 10 lb goals back and I already put them on my calender (mistake). Now I will be reminded EVERY month that I had a rough week in February and got behind. Not exactly good for the morale but what can you do? I might try and find some stickers or something to put over it.

Question for you guys: How do you deal with not meeting your smaller short term goals? Does that mean I don't get any of my rewards since I'm not going to make any of the dates? It's kind of weird to think that you set the smaller goals to make it more manageable but in this case it really just makes me feel more discouraged because I had one bad week and it throws everything off.

Anyway, not to dwell on the negative because after that walk/jog I feel great and am ready for a better week with more self-control.

P.S. I mentioned last post that I wanted a "perfect" (I just say that because its something I can do, be "perfect" in my goals for 7 days) week and I actually did it. I don't know how I missed posting about it but I went 7 days within my calorie range and exercised 5 days. Maybe that's why the next week was so hard, maybe a little burned out? I'm not sure, just a thought though. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of that week so I thought I would share that little accomplishment.

Until next time, enjoy this song that matched my pace perfectly today. :)


2 comments:

  1. I had a rough weekend calorie-wise in Rochester this past weekend...talk about candy galore! Great job jogging!! And I can't believe you did seven days in your calories and exercised five days!! So awesome. I was also about to bug you for a blog post, but here this one is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if your short-term goals (ten pounds, etc.) aren't date specific? So you earn your rewards when you reach that goal but not by a particular date? Just a thought. Keep going, you can do it! It will get easier with time!

    ReplyDelete